Since 1960, Quaker Special Risk has been a pioneer and a leader in the excess and surplus lines market by helping insurance agents and brokers throughout the United States craft unique insurance coverage for the specific needs of their clients.
Today Quaker is larger and stronger than ever, while maintaining its dedication and commitment to customer service. We are proud of the fact that we remain an independently owned agency.
Consistent with our founding principles and traditions, Quaker remains committed to providing our agents with superior and knowledgeable service, innovative products in an ever-changing marketplace, and aggressive and competitive pricing. We also recognize the need for flexibility in the E&S market. To this end, we provide specific consideration for each individual account, including the use of manuscript forms and endorsements tailored to suit your client’s needs.
In our continued pursuit of excellence, Quaker remains committed to a team-oriented approach that enables us to provide you with immediate access and competent responses to your questions and concerns. Quaker has always prided itself on its dedication to personalized service. It remains the foundation on which our long term partnerships with you, our clients, and highly-rated E&S insurers are built. Visit QSR’s testimonials page to see our clients have to say.
Whitcomb Hall is the finest example of a high Victorian Queen Anne mansion in the City of Worcester, MA. The historic house was built in 1879 as the home of George H. Whitcomb, one of the city’s leading businessmen and philanthropists. George H. Whitcomb, from Templeton, MA, founded Bay State Envelope Co. By 1895, Bay State Envelope Co was the source of a third of the staple envelopes produced in the United States. He sold the business to U.S. Envelope in 1898. He was also a real-estate tycoon, having invested successfully in property in Colorado, Washington, and in Worcester. He and his wife had seven children; four survived and grew up in the Harvard Street home. After his death in 1918, his house was given to the Society for the Blind. The house was listed twice on the National Register of Historic Places: in 1977 as Whitcomb House and in 1980 as Whitcomb Mansion. In 1982, in the spirit of the original gift from the Whitcomb family, the Memorial Homes for the Blind donated the home to the Age Center of Worcester for its administrative offices. In 2002, Karin Branscombe purchased the building and renovated it as the offices for Quaker Special Risk.
Whitcomb Hall is also one of the few surviving houses designed by noted Worcester architect Stephen Earle. It is an asymmetrical polychromatic three story granite structure measuring 40 feet by 70 feet. The granite for the home came from a quarry in Monson, for which well-known builder Silas Batchelder was the contractor. Its front facade is divided into three sections, the central one a projecting gable-ended entry. The front door is flanked by sidelights and is topped by a half-round window, all slightly recessed in an archway. Above the door on the second level of the entry section are a pair of windows, in front of which is a decoratively embellished cast iron balcony. The gable also contains a pair of windows, above which the point of the gable is filled with lighter-colored triangular granite stones. The left section of the main facade is two stories, but the roof is pierced by a single steeply-pitched gable dormer. The right section also has a gable dormer, but is truncated because of the presence of a round tower, which is a full three stories high and is topped by a conical roof. Behind the house stands a carriage house, a single story structure built of local stone, topped by a steep slate roof and cupola. The interior of the house has retained some of its original details. The downstairs rooms are decorated in a variety of exotic wood finishes, and the walls and ceilings are covered in decorative paintings. The upstairs rooms are finished in cherry, ash, and maple. There are 7 fireplaces. New York Tile did all of the tiling. Vibrant stained glass was designed and painted by William J. McPherson.